did you know that June is Adopt a Shelter Cat Month? in honor of one of our favorite months of the year, we’ve decided to share some of the reasons why sWheat Scoop loves and supports animal adoption. here are 5 great reasons to make your next pet a shelter pet:
1. save a life – when you make the decision to adopt your next four-legged pal from a local shelter, you’re giving an animal a second chance at a happy life. according to the ASPCA, approximately 5-7 million dogs & cats enter shelters nationwide each year. of those millions of abandoned animals, 70% of shelter cats are euthanized due to a lack of room and resources. rescue your next pet from a local shelter and you may find that you not only saved a life, but that your new friend has forever changed yours.
2. low-maintenance – finding your next cat at a local shelter brings many benefits. most shelters provide any needed medical care for animals upon arrival, assess their best fit for a living situation, ensure they are healthy and spay or neuter pets before they’re available for adoption. additionally, a majority of cats are abandoned due to personal lifestyle changes, meaning that shelter cats are typically already trained and don’t require lots of extra work and patience.
3. health benefits – not only will a shelter cat provide lots of smiles and unconditional love, it has been proven that pets improve our physical and mental health as well. simply spending time with an animal can lower blood and cholesterol levels, decrease stress, prevent allergies in children and improve your mood.
4. save money – adopting a cat from your local shelter is much less expensive than purchasing a pet from a breeder. since your new companion will already be spayed or neutered, you save on vet bills. plus, you can feel good about paying your animal’s adoption fee knowing that your money is going towards rescuing and re-homing more abandoned animals.
5. find your perfect match – the staff at animal shelters make it their mission to find good matches for the cats in their care. having spent quality time with each shelter pet, the staff knows their tendencies best and will be able to help you find the perfect pet to fit your lifestyle. you and your new furry family member will be best friends in no time!